Washington DC is the perfect place to enjoy your leisure time and take a break from the daily routine. The Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center is conveniently located in the heart of the city and minutes from top events and holiday celebrations. Bring your family to explore our nation's capitol, romance the one you love, take a tour with a guide, go shopping with a friend, or whatever your reason to visit DC, the Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center is an excellent place to unwind, relax, and take in as much or as little as you like.
DC offers an array of guided tours where narrators share knowledge, facts and stories in a variety of formats Washington DC tours are offered by land and sea, on your own pace or completely guided, traditional and nontraditional, in DC you'll find a tour for everyone.
- DC Duck Tours - Ninety-minute tours leave from Union Station to the National Mall and Smithsonian Museums and then set sail on the Potomac River.
- Riverboat Cruises - Depart from the docks at Washington Harbor cruises the Potomac River for a short cruise by popular DC area sites.
- Lunch/Dinner Cruises - Enjoy meals and entertainment as you cruises the Potomac River past popular DC area sites. Tours last about 2 to 3 hours.
DC offers a plethora of walking tours that will take you to and through many of the sites in our nation's capitol providing insight you may have otherwise missed on your own. Some tours companies offer theme based tour tours for example ghost tours, Presidential lives, etc.
- Fords Theatre Society - History on Foot DC walking tour available during spring and summer with tour guides/actors dressed in Civil War Washington character.
- Washington DC TV & Movie Sites Tour - Visits the sites of 50 movies and television shows all within approximately 30 locations. The tour leaves from Union Station on Saturdays at 2. For more information on rates, times, and bus options please contact 212-683-2027.
- Old Trolley Tours - Hop on and off the trolley at 19 destinations and board again at your own pace. Narrator talks about 100 points of interest. And don't worry, you won't miss anything because you can pick up right were you left off.
- Hop-On/Hop-Off Tours - This style of tour is a combination of touring on your own while also having a guide to help ensure you hear about and see the most popular DC destinations. In addition to the trolley, tours are also offered on Double Decker Buses, Tourmobile, and other bus style transportation systems. Once your tickets are purchased you can hop on and off the bus as many times as you like. Most Hop-on/Hop-off Tour companies offer single day and multiple day tickets.
- Segway Tours - Cruise through Washington DC on a fun and easy to operate Segway with your guide to entertain and share interesting historical facts and stories. Tours are for small groups of riders who must be 16 or older and under 260 lbs.
- Multilingual Tours - Most tour companies offer multilingual staff or pre-recorded tour information in a variety of languages.
- Nighttime Tours - Washington DC by moonlight is absolutely captivating. Experience the sights of DC at night when the illuminated monuments and memorials are just breathtaking. Some tours will share stories of the ghosts who haunt the capitol.
- Bike Tours - Bike and Roll offers professionally guided tours through some of the most popular tourist sites such as the National Mall, Lincoln Memorial, White House, Union Station and more. Guided bike tours leave across from the Federal Triangle Subway one block from the National Mall. Tours include a 21-speed mountain bike, helmet, snack and water bottle.
Planning a romantic getaway? Washington DC offers some of the best places to escape from the daily routine and connect with your special someone. Explore our nation's capitol, reconnect over a romantic dinner, take in a show, or seek out adventure. Located close to the hustle and bustle of Chinatown and within blocks of nonstop entertainment, the Hampton Inn Washington, DC Convention Center offers convenient access to all of DC's famous and romantic sites.
- Marrakesh Restaurant - The Marrakesh Restaurant promises you an experience you won't forget. You will be transported into another world as you dine for hours on course after course of Moroccan cuisine. Set in a backdrop of Moroccan décor and Middle Eastern music along with live professional belly dancers, you will surely have an experience to remember.
- Fogo De Chao Restaurant - Fogo De Chao's invites you to a Southern Brazilian experience that makes you and your special someone feel pampered. Surrounded by murals of ranch life in Southern Brazil, you'll enjoy an unforgettable tableside service of 15 cuts of meats grilled to perfection by Gaucho chefs, gourmet salad bar, authentic side dishes and an award-winning wine list.
- Odyssey Dinner Cruise - Aboard the Odyssey you'll cruise the Potomac River with breathtaking views of Washington DC. Romantic creative plated dining served in elegant climate-controlled decks, award-winning wines; live entertainment and dancing create the backdrop for romance and an experience you'll remember. The Odyssey offers a variety of cruises brunch, lunch, dinner, moonlight and a variety of specialty cruises year-round.
- Theater & Concert - DC offers a wide range of plays and performances from musicals, concerts, historic events, and more. Visit our Sports & Entertainment Page for a list of theaters.
- Comedy & Dancing - DC and Georgetown are nightlife hotspots with a wide array of comedy and dancing outlets.
- Romanic Night Tours - Washington DC by moonlight is absolutely captivating and romantic. Visiting the illuminated monuments and memorials are just breathtaking and magical. Tours are offered by bus and on the Potomac.
- Canoeing, Kayaking, Paddle Boats - Enjoy the outdoors with each other by exploring the Potomac River in canoes or kayaks or visit the Tidal Basin to go paddle boating.
- Romantic Hotels - Celebrate each other without interruptions, nothing but sweet romance at the Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center. Book one of our romance packages to compliment any romantic getaway. Whether you're exploring our nation's capitol, reconnecting over a romantic dinner, taking in a show, or just staying in, DC is the perfect place for romance. Your romantic getaway can begin and end snuggled up with your special someone. Staying in? Cuddle up to watch the in-room movie, workout together in the fitness center, take a dip in our indoor pool and/or relax in the whirlpool.
Your Sweet Romance Package includes
- Spacious modern guest room/suite with Cloud Nine Bedding to snuggle up with the one you love
- One bottle of Champagne or Sparkling Cider
- A Box of Chocolates
- One complimentary In-room movie
- Early check-in (when available)
- Late checkout upon request
- Complimentary Hot Breakfast
Romanic Restaurant Packages also available. Visit our hotel packages page for more information.
The Hampton Washington DC Convention Center is the perfect location to begin your Family Reunion. Conveniently located just minutes from all the popular tourist attractions, shopping, and dining, keeping everyone entertained and well nourished will be a piece of cake. Planning your family's reunion will be as easy as one, two, three.
One : Find something for the family to do.
Vacationers, families with kids, and leisure groups alike, will delight in the Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center's close proximity to the awe-inspiring monuments and memorials, world-class museums, historic neighborhoods, and cultural and sporting venues for which the city is famous. And our friendly and helpful staff is always at the ready to assist you in any way possible.
Located close to the hustle and bustle of Chinatown and within blocks of the Verizon Center and the Washington, DC Convention Center, the hotel offers convenient access to all of DC's famous sites: The National Mall; the Smithsonian Museums; Spy Museum; Capitol Complex; The White House; The Washington Monument; U.S. Botanic Garden; Library of Congress; Supreme Court; Capitol Visitors Center; and a variety of other attractions, as well as professional sports games in the Verizon Center and cultural venues such as the Warner Theatre, The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, and the Shakespeare Theatre.
Kids and adults alike will enjoy a visit to the National Zoo and children will also find many entertaining and educational exhibits at the various Smithsonian Museums, such as touching a moon rock at the National Air and Space Museum or seeing a recreated wooly mammoth at the National Museum of Natural History. And best of all, admission to all Smithsonian Museums is FREE.
Tired of walking around town? Getting around and exploring the sights is made easy by our hotels proximity to the Mt. Vernon/Convention Center and Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro stops, or purchase a Grayline bus tour ticket and hop on and off at all of Washington, DC's major attractions. Visit our Sports and Entertainment Page for more information.
Two : Find a Hotel with Comfortable Amenities and Great Value
Featuring a blend of modern conveniences and good, old-fashioned comforts in a prime location, the family-friendly Hampton Inn Washington, DC - Convention Center, is the perfect choice for an upscale modern style hotel with a welcoming staff in downtown Washington DC. Offering 228 spacious, well-appointed and beautifully decorated guestrooms and suites this downtown Washington DC hotel offers unparalleled value for your travel dollar and is ideal to serve as your gateway for family reunions in the nation's capitol. And after a long day exploring this one-of-a-kind city, return to the warmth and inviting glow of your clean and comfortable room or suite to relax and unwind, and enjoy a good night's sleep in our Cloud Nine® beds.
Families find our amenities are an added bonus to our prime location
- Each guest room and suite equipped with microwave and me frigerator.
- Complimentary Hot Breakfast Buffet which includes eggs, meats, starches, cereals, muffins fresh fruit and much more.
- Indoor Pool and Whirlpool for a place to unwind
- Fitness Center for keeping fit
- Complimentary Wired and Wireless to stay connected
- Hilton HHonors Double Points
- Accessible Rooms
- Smoking and Nonsmoking Rooms
Let us help you plan and book your rooms and assist you with transportation, attractions, and dining. Here at the Hampton Inn Washington, DC we aim to provide exceptional value and outstanding service to ensure your vacation in Washington, DC is a memorable one.
Three : Price & Book the Hampton Inn Washington DC-Convention Center
A family reunion in our nation's capitol promises to be one of the most memorable events and staying at the Hampton Inn Washington DC-Convention Center is just the beginning of some wonderful stories families will be sharing for many years to come. Use our online tools to check group value dates, book through events and find out how you can manage your guest list all right from your computer. You can even have your own family webpage. Click here for more information on all of our FREE online tools.
Drawing 500,000 people each year the Black Family Reunion is a two-day festival celebrating African American families. The September festival holds a variety of events on the National Mall. Sponsored by the National Council of Negro Women, Inc., visitors enjoy free R & B and Gospel concerts, arts and crafts, health screenings, children's activities & food and an international marketplace.
Themed pavilions that showcase African American businesses and organizations are featured along with celebrity appearances and performances.
Themed Pavilions Include
- Children's Pavilion - features story telling and animation instruction.
- Health Pavilion - offers free blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose screenings.
- Women's Health and Day Spa Pavilion - gives beauty makeover presentations.
- Sports & Fitness Pavilion - provides information about a variety of fun activities.
- Education Pavilion - inspires learning.
- Fathers, Sons & Brothers Pavilion - reaffirms the values of family.
- National Council of Negro Women's Family Values Pavilion - provides information about the sponsoring organization.
Gay Pride Events for capitol Pride occur mid June drawing attendance from all over the country. Events leading up to capitol Pride weekend are chorus performances, comedy showcases, women's concerts and an array of parties and socials. The capitol Pride Parade commences on Saturday evening in the Dupont Circle Neighborhood moving through DC ending just north of Thomas Circle. Saturday generally wraps up with special fund raising events such as Barbeques.
Sunday events include a capitol Pride Street Festival northwest of the Capitol building at Pennsylvania Ave NW. This festival usually attracts over 250,000 visitors. In addition to the parade and festival many gay bars and restaurants, hotels and shops have special events throughout the weekend and week leading up to the Gay Pride events.
Holidays in the Nation's Capitol
Memorial Day Weekend - Memorial Day is a time for remembrance and to honor our veterans who have served our country. There are a variety of services and events for guests to see and attend.
- PBS' National Memorial Day Concert
- National Memorial Day Parade
- Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally
- GI Film Festival
- Arlington National Cemetery-Wreath-laying ceremony & concert
- Navy Memorial
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Air Force Memorial
July Forth - Washington DC comes alive with a celebration of patriotism over July 4th. While there are many patriotic events that celebrate America's Independence Day Washington DC is well known for a spectacular fireworks display over the Washington Monument.
- Washington, DC's Independence Day Parade - Parade has floats, VIP's marching bands military and special units. Parade Start Time: 11:45 a.m. Parade Route: Constitution Avenue and 7th to 17th Sts.
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival - Music and dance performances, cooking, craft, cultural discussions and stories. The theme changes every year.
- 4th of July at the National Archives - Special program celebrating the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- Concert on the Washington Monument Grounds - US Army Concert Band and U.S. Army Band Downrange (Evening Event)
- A Capitol Fourth Concert - Live concert by the National Symphony Orchestra, pop artists performing patriotic music at the U.S. Capitol Building. The fireworks display follows the performances. The concert is free and open to the public no tickets are required.
- Washington DC Fireworks Display - Launching from the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, spectacular colors light up the sky and shower over the Washington Monument for a fireworks display like no other. Bring your blankets and scope out your spot early as this event draws a crowd. Fireworks go off at dark, around 9:00 pm. The best places to view the fireworks are National Mall, East Potomac Park, FDR Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Lincoln Memorial and Capitol.
Christmas - One of the most magical times of the year and a great time to visit the winder wonderland of DC. Top Things to do at Christmas in Washington DC
- National Christmas Tree & Pathway of Peace - After the tree lighting ceremony through January 1st from dusk until 11 pm visitors can enjoy the beauty of the illuminated trees plus musical groups from DC provide a few hours of entertainment. Tickets are required for the Tree Lighting Ceremony.
- Christmas Light Displays - Drive, walk, run or stroll and you're bound to be captivated by the spectacle of lights. Special holiday displays can be enjoyed throughout the city including the ZooLights at the National Zoo.
- Candlelit Tours - Several holiday decorated house museums in the DC area offer the candlelit tours with seasonal music, storytelling and topped off with holiday treats.
- Nutcracker - A ballet classic, the Nutcracker can be seen at a variety of theatres throughout DC including the Kennedy Center.
- Attend a Concert - There are many concerts by local and national artists during the holiday season here are a few of the must sees: National Symphony Orchestra Pops, Holiday Magic at the Botanic Garden, U.S. Army Band, Washington National Cathedral, Washington Chorus, A Jazz New Year's Eve.
While there are many special events happening throughout the year there are citywide events that draw crowds from across the country and others that see visitors from across the globe.
Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally - Memorial Day
Over Memorial Day about 400,000 veterans roar into Washington DC. This yearly "Ride for Freedom" is to draw the Government's attention to remembering, recognizing and protecting Prisoners of War and Soldiers Missing in Action (MIA's). Over the three days there are a variety of events: Friday's Candle Light Vigil at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Saturday Wreathlaying Ceremony at U.S. Navy Memorial and Saluting Our Troops at the Base of the Reflection Pool (Lincoln Memorial), Sunday Rolling Thunder starts at Pentagon driving into Washington DC to Lincoln Memorial for Musical Tribute and Speaker Program.
National Cherry Blossom Festival
The National Cherry Blossom Festival is a two-week spring celebration in March and April when the 3,000 cherry trees, a gift from Tokyo in 1912, are in bloom. Washington DC blossoms with the beauty of the pink and white flowers and comes alive with over 200 international cultural performances and over 95 events to mark the celebration. While events can be scene throughout DC, many events occur near the museums and monuments on the National Mall and Jefferson Memorial Tidal Basin.
During this time you can expect to see the following events and more
- National Cherry Blossom Opening Ceremonies.
- Fireworks Show
- National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade.
- River Blossom Tours
- Annual Smithsonian Kite Festival
- Musical Performances
- Cherry Blossom Soccer Tournament for
Cherry Blossom Cup.
- Embassy of Japan special presentations
- Japanese Art and Garden Displays
- Annual Cherry Blossom Freedom Walk
- Anime Marathon Film Festival
- Lantern Lighting Ceremony
- Annual George Washington University Crew Invitational.
- National Japan Bowl
- Annual Cherry Blossom Rugby Tournament
- Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival
- Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 mile run and 5K Run-Walk
Marathons & Charity Walks
Marathons - Running through Washington DC provides you the opportunity to run through history. Most of the Marathons will take runners through Georgetown, Alexandria and past the Pentagon, Memorials, Museums and more. Marathon organizers usually offer smaller courses for those who want to participate but are looking for a shorter option to the full 26.2 miles. While there are many marathons 5Ks and everything in between here are a few you can expect to find.
- Marine Corps Marathon and 10k.
- SunTrust National Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay road race.
- North Face Endurance Challenge Trail Run- 50 miles, 50K, 10K half-marathon trail race.
- Virginia's Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon
- Alexandria's Annual George Washington Classic 10K Race & 2K Fun Run. (Presidents Day Run)
Charity Walks - Washington DC plays host to many charity walks/runs every year. Here are just a few you can expect to see on a yearly basis.
- MS Walk - National MS Society, National capitol Chapter.
- Arthritis Walks in the Washington, DC Area.
- Avon Walk for Breast Cancer - Washington, DC
- Relay for Life - Many Locations in the Washington, DC Area
- Race for Hope
- Walk to Cure Diabetes
- National Police Week 5K
- Susan G. Komen National Race for the Cure.
- Walk to Empower : Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization.
International Food & Wine Festival
Washington DC is host to the largest indoor wine tasting event in the region. During this four-day event enthusiasts can learn about the world's wine sources, accessories and helpful hints like refrigeration through attending seminars. Treat your taste buds with guided wine tastings and food samples from local master chef demonstrations. Each day offers a different pairing experience showcasing the pairing of wines with the correct cheeses, hors d'oeuvres and meals.
Stepping out the front door of the Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center places you minutes from a variety of shopping options. From specialty stores, boutiques to antiques, the DC area has treasures for everyone. Many shops are within walking distance however the Metro expands your shopping horizons.
Here are some of the best shopping venues
- Downtown DC - Stores throughout the city, including Chinatown, only a few blocks away, Wisconsin Avenue, and K & M Streets locations. Your options are endless with hundreds of stores.
- The Fashion Centre at Pentagon City - Is an upscale mall with 170 stores including Guess, Coach, Talbots, Banana Republic, Nordstrom's, Swarovski Crystal Gallery and more. Select from many of the full service restaurants or swing by the food court for a quick bite.
- Georgetown Park - Only minutes away a wide selection of shopping and eating options awaits you in this three level shopping mall. What you won't find at Georgetown Park shops are department stores but with over 100 stores there is a little something for everyone from men and women's fashion to electronics, jewelry, toys, books and more.
- Mazza Gallerie is a modest upscale shopping mall with approximately 20 stores. Included are Chevy Chase Bridal Salon, Neiman Marcus, Emissary, Ann Taylor, Filene's Basement, Pampillonia Jewelers, Sak's Fifth Avenue Men's Store, Williams Sonoma and more. Other options for Mazza Gallerie visitors include AMC Theater, Mazza Café additional restaurants and just two blocks way more high-end retailers.
- Tysons Corner is a shopping Mecca bringing shoppers by bus, by car and by rail. This is the largest shopping area in the DC area and the fifth largest in the country. There are multiple big name anchor stores such as L.L. Bean, Macy's, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdale's along with over 300 specialty stores. This MEGA shopping experience is complimented with movie theatres and endless dining options. Your giant shopping experience is only about 12 miles from the Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center.
- Union Station - offers premier shopping with 130 stores plus a variety of dining options all within the breathtaking station with beautiful architectural design.
Our nation's capitol is host to many parades throughout the year. Some of the parades are to celebrate, some to remember, some for show and some are a combination each parade with their own special twist for all to enjoy.
Many of the parades coincide with other city, area and holiday events.
- Chinese New Year Parade - February
- George Washington Birthday Parade - February
- St. Patrick's Day Parade - March
- National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade - April
- Memorial Day Parade - May
- Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Parade - May
- capitol Pride Parade - June
- DC Caribbean Carnival - June
- Independence Day Parade - July
- Labor Day Parades - September
- Scottish Walk Parade - December
- Alexandria Holiday Boat Parade - December
Thrill seekers and small children alike can enjoy a day packed full of fun and excitement at Six Flags America. There are over 100 rides including 7 roller coasters and the largest water park in the Washington, DC area called Hurricane Harbor.
Not a fan of roller coasters? No problem! There are family rides and a kid friendly area call Looney Tunes Movie Town along with many shows to enjoy. Open late May through early September and some early opening days for special events. Six Flags offers a variety of shows and events to thrill most any theme park enthusiast. Six Flags is only 13 miles from the Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center.
with online booking tools and save! The Hampton Inn Washington DC Convention Center offers guests a way to book online and manage your guest list right from the comfort of their own computer 24/7...